Thursday, April 14, 2011

They Don't Know

You've been around for such a long time now
Oh maybe I could leave you but I don't know how

The first time I heard this song was probably in the mid 90s, watching VH1 after school. Pop Up video or something like that. Tracey Ullman bopping along to shiny Brill Building pop, even Sir Paul McCartney was a long for the ride. Literally. Look for him in the car in the video towards the end of the song.



For years I thought Tracey Ullman wrote this song, making her an accomplished songwriter as well as comedian.  It wasn't until Kirsty MacColl's death in 2000 did I realize that this wasn't an Ullman original. 
Another version I heard courtesy of the Stereogum article, is Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie. He injects the right amount indie wistfulness / earnestness.


No comments:

Post a Comment